Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pi in Pyrex desert dawn (Part 1)

Happy pi day! 
Happy pie day! 
Happy 3.14 day!
Pi Day is a holiday commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 (or 3/14 in month/day date format), since 3, 1 and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form. In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day.  Read more about it here.
Haven't put on the whipped cream yet.

Nothing beats celebration Pi day with Pie! Homemade chocolate pie. And cabbage pie. I picked up to beauty at the Long Beach Antique market when I went with treasure hunter cousin. I paid whole $5 for it. I had no clue if the speckles were meant to be there. Come to find out they were. The pattern is called Desert Dawn. After a good cleaning I fell in love with it and this pattern has to be one of my favorites. I don't think the guy knew what he had on his table, because I didn't even have to haggle. I'm sure he could of got $10-$15 from someone who doesn't care about getting cheap Pyrex.

In honor of Pi Day I made homemade chocolate pie. Now I won't give you my pie crust recipe.... That is a secret I will take to my grave. Because you all know how freaking hard pie crust is to make and taste good. I have been looking for a while for one of those glass rolling pins from Pyrex but have not came across one yet. I use my French rolling pin. I like it better than those ones with handles, plus I can beat things with it.

Poor book is falling apart and has been tapped up a million times, but I bought it at a church sale for less than a quarter (fill a bag for $2! and I can fill a bag.)


Chocolate Pi (for my father, it was his favorite)
Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook,  copy write 1954, first edition

1 1/8 cup Sugar
1/3 tsp. Salt
2 tbsp. cornstartch
3/4 tbsp. flour
2 1/4 cup rich milk (I used whole milk)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3/4 tbsp. butter (use real butter!)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 sq. cut up unsweetened chocolate


Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch and flour in saucepan.  Slowly stir in milk, add chocolate.  Boil 1 minute, over med heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir half of mixture into egg yolk, then blend into hot mixture in saucepan.  Boil 1 more minute stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Blend in butter and vanilla. Cool.  Pour into baked pie shell. Chill. Just before serving top with whipped cream.  


Making pie crust, with my old cool sifter. Using Pyrex Butterprint mixing bowl.
Doesn't it look to die for? and you can taste that the chocolate cream wasn't made from a box!





Happy Pi day all you fellow math and food lovers. And Happy Birthday Albert Einstein!

Image from Google search.


Part 2 is cabbage pie we are having for dinner.  Stay tuned for I will give you the recipe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment