Monday, April 23, 2012

Meatless Monday - NONE

No Meatless Monday today. I've been in a funk and nothing sounds good to eat so I have been having quick dinners like tuna fish and Ramon for the past week.

Except THM did ask on Friday of last week for me to make pie.

He ran up to the cookbooks and said, "come here, I show you the book of pie."

Only my child would know what cookbook is the pie book. He wanted a strawberry pie. Now I do not like strawberry pie so I found a recipe in the "green" cookbook. It is Americans Woman's Cookbook. I found it at a used book store many many years ago. And the funny thing is my mom has the same one. It is 856 pages and was published around 1954.

We made Strawberry Chiffon Pie on page 601. It is a variation of the Orange Chiffon pie.







It has a cereal flake crust. I had no clue what kind of crust that was so I had to look it up.

Cereal Flake crust
from Cooks.com 
1 c. crushed  crisp rice cereal 
1/4 c. sugar 
6 tbsp. butter, melted


Combine crushed  crisp rice cereal  with sugar and melted butter; toss to thoroughly combine. Press mixture firmly into a 9" pie plate. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
Chiffon pie was new to me also. It comes out sorta like a very firm meringue. It was yummy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment