Breakfast for dinner? You bet. Sometimes meatless Monday's are thrown together. And when I cannot think of anything I make breakfast. Because breakfast can be filling and requires no meat. I made a banana strawberry oatmeal.
Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries & Banana
adapted from: inspiredtaste.net
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, Chinese five spice, salt, half the almonds, and half the strawberries. (Save the other half of strawberries and almonds for the top of the oatmeal). In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries and almonds. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shimmy/shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.
Now both THH and I agreed it had too much orange flavor. I don't think I will be making this again, but I made it because I had a ton of strawberries to use it and had most everything in the cabinet already.
We also had toast. The toast fit perfectly in the spring blossom medium size refrigerator dish. And the butter dish is a main piece in our everyday life. I use real butter. Not margarine. (Margarine grosses me out).
Don't you love this little thing?
|Tupperware sugar container.|