Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving! (with recipe!)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

We had a wonderful day at home cooking, playing and watching movies. It was so nice just to relax, even though I did all the cooking, with the help of 4yo THM.  He helped me make pie and deviled eggs. He also helped with the turkey but wouldn't touch it. I don't blame him.  The first Thanksgiving I made a turkey I had to talk to myself for 30 minutes, call my mom and freak out, all overt having to put my hand up the turkey's ass. 

I can now do that step freak-out free. *insert very proud smirk on face here*

I of course got to use some of my awesome Pyrex. 


We made chocolate pie. I always make a chocolate pie. Why? because it is my dads favorite.  He passed in 2008. I miss him and I always like to have a little something to remember him. Even though I don't think I ever spent a Thanksgiving with him after my mom and him got divorced.

Not Pyrex, but one of my FireKing pieces. I have used for about 7 years now. Also there is green bean casserole in the orange Autumn Harvest Pyrex. Yummy.
 
 
 Look at all that Yummyness.  Our meal is fairly traditional.

 Still no clue about this plastic butter dish. Anyone?


And  my big surpise to myself this year was the sweet potato casserole (in Woodland 503).  I don't care for sweet things, but this was really good. Now it was very rich and I think I will put the recipe in my book. Want the recipe I used? 
 
 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potato's (yams), drained
1/4 plus about t heaping tablespoon  cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt (wing it, I did)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or just throw whatever in, I did)
3/4 (I beat the egg then eyed it while pouring it in)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 bag miniature marshmallows (I used maybe half, but look at my poor thing above!)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F

Mash yams in a large bowl and add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, and melted butter.
Mix well.
Top with a layer of marshmallows

Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and top with remaining marshmallows if like yours, my marshmallows have melted and look pitiful. 
 

I even got THH to help me out (and he shaved his facial hair, it looks awful  here!)

And I am not going Black Friday Shopping! First time in 3 years. I don't need anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment