Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pi in Pyrex

Can you belive it has been a year already since the last Pi day? Are you wondering what Pi day is? Pi is ,according to Wikipedia, the number π (/p/) is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and is approximately equal to 3.14159. Todays date: 3-14. 

I know I am such a nerd

So what do we do on Pi day? Make pie of course. 

This year I tried the recipe for Lemon Meringue pie from the Pyrex Prize Recipes book. 

I also made the crust form the book. I told you I would have a recipe and here is the crust recipe. 

I got to use my glass rolling pin for the first time, note that the ice cubes were to big to fit. Opps. 

Pie Crust
Pg. 98  For one 8 1/2 inch pie plate. 

1 Cup sifted Flour
1/2 cup teaspoon salt
3 TB water
1/2 Cup Shortening

Sift flour and salt together. Cut in shortening. Sprinkle with water, on tablespoon at a time until  dough stick together. 



I am pretty sure you know what to do from there. Roll it and put it in a pie plate. If you need to bake, bake at 425f for 16 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool. 

Back to the lemon. And that what is this pie turned out to be. It didn't set.  The meringue was way to salty. I followed the recipe step by step. UGG. Most of this book is a miss, but I will try most every recipe because you never know when you will find a gem. 


Spring Blossom!
 I got to use an array of Pyrex. I also found out in my decluttering that there is a side of  cheese grater is a zester. Yay I can get rid of the zester in the utensil drawer!


 He was so happy to help me in the kitchen.  He got to stir and pour. He was very careful with my flameware. I do have a saucepan but I need the band and handle.  If you have one I would gladly buy it off you.

He also juiced the lemons on my old glass hand juicer. I think I picked this one up at a yard sale for a dollar.   I love glass juicers.

Old orchard and a spring blossom cereal bowl. 

I didn't let him handle the raw eggs. He isn't that great at hand washing yet.

Second batch. LOL
Please note the recipe called to stir it the entire time. I didn't. Opps. So I burned the crap out of the first batch of filling. So I used the insert to the double boiler for the second batch.


Filled and ready for the meringue. In a whole year I have not found a second pie plate. I am hitting up the same flea market I got this one at this Sunday with my mom.  I hope to find another one there. 



The meringue whipped up fast. I have some old fashioned hand beaters that do a better job than my kitchen aid. Good thing the kitch aid stand mixer was a gift. 


So the Meringue was awful Way too salty. I should of halved it. The filling didn't set. But it looks great!!! And I made it with help from THM. Nothing beats making pie with my boy. 

3 comments:

  1. What a bummer it wasn't great! At least it looks delicious, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad, nothing worse than when your baking doesn't turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks great, even if it didn't taste that way! I may have an extra handle
    (but no band)- is there a difference in the way they fit?

    ReplyDelete