Sunday, March 31, 2013

Strawberry pie - not a failure

Happy Easter.

To us Easter is bunnies, chocolate and food.  I'm not religious at all. I didn't got to church much as a kid. I did however get married in a church. It was pretty.

Anywho back to the pie,  since I failed at Pi day this year I made a pie for Easter that I knew wouldn't flop. I've made this pie before and man is it good. A very simple pie.

Here is the simple strawberry cream pie.

Start with a simple graham cracker crust. Make extra an let you spastic kid eat it out of the bowl with a   spoon.

Old Orchard 442, blendo blender carafe, pyrex pie plate, club pot
And someone's hands eating the extra. 

I bought this blender at Salvation Army a while back. Best blender I ever owned. 

Next prepare the filling. Nothing fancy here. All neufchâtel cheese is lower in fat and higher in moisture than regular cream cheese, making it softer.  Some sugar, milk, and vanilla. I broke out my kitchen aid for the job.  Mixes it fast and smooth.

I got this as a wedding gift back in 2007. It came from my then boss. 

A beautiful sight! 
Then plop it in the crust.  I used a white pyrex pie plate.  The one I got at the antique market.  Yay for first time using a dish!



Next top with sliced strawberries.  This makes it pop.  So beautiful.  Eat handful of strawberries as you top it.  Don't forget to keep an eye on the kid cutting up strawberries. And make sure to have enough. Eating while cooking makes cooking fun.


Then make a purée and heat it in the stove with sugar and cornstarch. Don't go talking to your father in law about who knows what and scorch it.



Drizzle purée on top.



Eat the whole thing in one sitting and pray it goes to your boobs and not your thighs.

Who am I kidding.  Make 2 and hide in the bathroom so you don't have to share with the small people in the house. You can always get liposuction.

This is one of my favorite pies. Only because it is hard to screw up, looks pretty and tastes great.

Here is the recipe.  I got it from a friend and have no clue where she got.  I've added more sugar than it calls for.  So here is my high sugar recipe.  Credit to whoever she got it from.

Simple and not very many ingredients. 


Strawberry cream cheese pie

2 packages neufchâtel cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB milk
1/4 tsp vanilla (please don't use imitation!)

Strawberries, sliced
1/2 -1 cup cut strawberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp corn starch

Mix cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth.

Plop in crust.

Top with sliced strawberries.

Puree cut strawberries.  Mix water and corn starch. On medium heat add water/corn starch mix and sugar. Heat until thick.

Drizzle on top of pie.

Keep refrigerated  until ready to eat.









3 comments:

  1. This was too funny !! Looks delish!
    Happy Easter to you!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my Girlfriends signature dishes! It always goes fast, and I always get yelled at for eating the creme- out her pink Pyrex gooseberry bowl in the fridge whiel its setting up. Mmmm Mmm good! You should just make the creme and try it on panckaes or waffles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best on crepes with homemade jam.

      Delete